The speaking module of PTE makes an overall assessment of the speaking, listening, and writing skills of the students. Usually, the speaking skills get evaluated by asking the students to repeat the questions spoken in an audio clip, giving response to the questions asked, and at last making summary of the passages on various topics related to academics.
The first phase in the speaking section starts with making a personal introduction, where the students introduce themselves. The next section comes with a number of items, which the students need to listen carefully and then give replies in a microphone.
The students need to finish the answer before the “progress bar” reaches the end. In case, the students refrain from uttering a word for more than 3 seconds, the recording would stop immediately, making the students lose the count.
The Speaking Section – A Complete Overview
Let’s take a complete overview of the items in the speaking section;
- Read aloud– The students get the chance to read the text on the screen in a loud tone. The section contains text up to 60 words. As per the present scoring system, the students only get partial credit. The necessary skills for this are reading and speaking. Time to answer would of course vary.
- Repeat sentence- In this section, the students would listen to the sentences played and then they would repeat it verbally. It would contain items up to12. The prompt length would remain 3-9 seconds. The students would get only partial score for this. While the time allotted is 15 seconds, the necessary skills for this are listening and speaking.
- Describe Image- In this section, the students would have to describe a given image. The number of images would vary up to 7. The students would get partial credit as per the available scoring pattern. The allotted time is 40 seconds, while the skills required is speaking.
- Re-tell lecture– This is a bit difficult as the students would have to take all in their memories, what they hear in the lecture. The number of items under this section would vary up to 4. The prompt length is about 90 seconds. The students would get partial credit under the present scoring system. The time allotment for this is 40 seconds as skills required are listening and speaking.
- Answer short questions– In this section, the students would reply to the question in one word or in a few words. The number of items could go up to 12. The prompt length is 3-9 seconds. As per the present scoring system, the answer could become correct or incorrect. The time allotment for this is 10 seconds, while the necessary skills are listening and speaking.
Things to do before this section
- Personal introduction– The students would have to give a personal introduction before the section starts. For this, there is no scoring system.
- How to begin?– They would have to wait up to 25 seconds till they hear the “beep” sound in order to prepare for the content. After they hear the beep sound, they could give personal introduction.
- When to speak?– The students could speak till the micro-phone begins recording. The recording of their voice would take place only once.
- How to speak?- The students need to speak very calmly and clearly. They need to avoid showing a hurried response. They need to finish the introduction before the progress bar reaches the end and the recording gets shown as “completed”.
That’s it. If you have any doubt regarding this pte academic speaking section exam pattern, you can let us know in comment section below.